The Public Safety Geoscience team in the Geological Survey of Canada, Natural Resources Canada are looking for someone to join the team for a 90-day contract, with potential for extension.
The Public Safety Geoscience team is launching a National, neighbourhood-level seismic risk model through a publicly accessible website - RiskProfiler. RiskProfiler is a disaster risk reduction tool that provides risk and hazard information to target users such as community planners and emergency managers. Seismic hazard and risk information are displayed in an engaging format to inform decision-making at local, regional, and national scales.
As part of the launch, the team is mobilizing science knowledge by engaging users and developing explanatory text. The team is proactively building relationships with governments at all levels and Indigenous Nations to share the information and facilitate its use. The team is engaging in science knowledge communication through engagement meetings, writing, graphic and video development, and website edits. The team includes scientists, engineers, computer science support, and is looking to augment its current communication and policy capacity through this position.
- Become familiar with RiskProfiler tool and comfortable discussing scientific underpinning at a high level and answering frequently asked questions
- Proactively reaching out to potential users and documenting connections made
- Leading weekly RiskProfiler engagement sessions
- Communicate with technical team about user needs
- Developing communication or support materials as needed
- Other activities as identified by candidate and team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and manage professional relationships
- Facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with Indigenous Nations
- Bilingual an asset
- Exposure to earthquake and/or natural hazards risk assessment topics.
- Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Proficiency with Microsoft and GSuite tools
- Available for a 90-day period, with potential for extension - Undergraduate degree and 1 year of related work experience or graduate studies