Job type: Full-time
Closing: Position open until filled
Salary: (depending on qualifications) Planner Salary $47,238 - $56,685; Senior Planner Salary: $60,289 - $72,346
The City of Clearwater, Florida, USA is currently searching for a Planner or Senior Planner to join their Development Review (current) Planning team.
As a Planner or Senior Planner for the city of Clearwater, your education and experience will be developed in a fast-paced work environment where business is thriving and no day is the same.
Want to join a work environment that promotes creativity, confidence, personal/professional development, equity, and inclusion? Clearwater is the place to be.
Just graduated? Our entry-level planners hit the ground running using their education and skills essential to the city’s day-to-day business operations. The work is diverse, and you will become seasoned in all facets of planning.
Where will you work? Just a few minutes drive from beautiful Clearwater Beach, steps from a restaurant row of great eateries in Downtown Clearwater, and with a diverse workforce that is dedicated to getting the job done for the citizens of Clearwater.
Paid Professional Development: Join professional organizations and travel for conferences paid by the city.
Under limited direction, the Planner OR Senior Planner performs professional and technical level development review (current land planning) work in connection with the administration of the land development code
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides advanced professional planning work in a variety of capacities related to the use of land in the City including development review, site plan approval, signage, landscape review, zoning, land use, subdivision and major development permitting, comprehensive planning.
- Provides extensive and professional customer service for the general public, including assistance to walk-in customers, other City departments, elected officials and outside professionals; communicates the City's land development regulations clearly and concisely; participates in a variety of meetings and public hearings.
- Reviews plans and provides feedback and expertise on planning; assists applicants, owners, and others through permitting and applications; disseminates information and communicates extensively through the process of planning and development.
- Conducts research and analysis and prepares reports on complex planning issues.
- Makes recommendations for potential changes to the Community Development Code or other governing plans and prepares amendments as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Development Review: Planner
- Reviews and analyzes development applications and projects (site plans, architectural elevations, civil and landscape plans) for consistency with all applicable adopted plans, codes and standards; conducts field studies; identifies any issues for discussion and prepares planning comments as part of Development Review Committee
- Conducts zoning reviews and provides follow up on building permits and business tax receipts.
Development Review: Senior Planner:
- Processes, reviews and provides follow up on a wide variety of permits and development applications, including residential dwellings, hotels, and other site plan review applications, business tax receipts, temporary uses, docks, fences, landscape plans, signs, plats, and lot splits.
- Independently reviews and analyzes planning applications and projects for consistency with all applicable adopted plans, codes and standards; identifies any issues and utilizes independent judgment to make recommendations regarding approval and potential resolutions.
- Prepares staff reports and presents expert testimony for quasi-judicial hearings.
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment
- A valid State driver's license is required.
- AICP certification, CNU accreditation, PTP (Transportation Planner), and/or similar is preferred, but not required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND one (1) year of experience in development services or planning at the local government level; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Master's Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND five (5) years of experience in development services, planning, or related field; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Principles and practices of city planning, zoning, land use, land development regulations, architecture and urban design, form based and performance based codes, and familiarity with new urbanism principles
- Comprehensive plan, community development code, and state statutes
- NACTO and AASHTO design guides for urban streets, bikeways, and bike/ped facilities (Transportation Planner)
- Report development and presentation
- General office policies and procedures
- Computers and general office equipment
- Reviewing plans and recommending changes and updates
- Analyzing data and applying information to zoning, urban design, and other planning activities
- Reading and reviewing site plan documents, including surveys, civil and architectural drawings, and landscape plans
- Project management; managing time and project load appropriately
- Monitoring permitting and application status
- Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing, with strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Operating a computer and related software including Microsoft Office 365; experience with SharePoint and GIS preferred
- Health and Wellness initiatives
- 100% employee health care coverage
- Option for dependent health care
- Life Insurance
- Optional Dental, Vision, AFLAC
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement -General Employee Pension Plan
- Voluntary Tax-deferred 457 Plan
- Paid holiday, vacation, sick leave plans
- Competitive Salaries
- Tuition assistance
- Training and development opportunities
- Travel compensation
- Military leave
- Bereavement leave
- Discount coupons
- Service and employee recognition awards