Call for Presentation Proposals
The 2020 City of Richmond Diversity Symposium is a free, week-long, and virtual conference in October for professionals, volunteers and community members interested in learning and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are now accepting presentation proposals for this year’s virtual Diversity Symposium. We are seeking dynamic speakers and leaders who want to share their knowledge and experience in building diverse, equitable and inclusive communities.
The 2020 Symposium will be held online from Monday, October 19 to Friday, October 23.
Why be a presenter?
The City of Richmond Diversity Symposium gathers professionals and volunteers from various municipal departments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, private sector and academic institutions. Presenters have a unique opportunity to gain recognition and exchange ideas with delegates who are involved in the field of diversity and inclusion. This year’s virtual diversity symposium will also be open to the public.
Sessions can explore a range of topics, such as:
- Building communities that are welcoming, equitable, and inclusive of different aspects of diversity;
- Identifying promising practices and initiatives that facilitate understanding and connection across diverse backgrounds and fostering a more equitable society;
- Sharing practical approaches to putting theory into practice;
- Examining the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on our society;
- Using intersectional and anti-racist lens in examining and acknowledging interlocking systems of power and promoting social and political equity; and
- Evaluating the impact and effectiveness of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
The Diversity Symposium encourages proposals that:
- Provide interactive learning experiences;
- Explore best practices and innovations;
- Help delegates learn practical skills, ideas, strategies, and perspectives to tackle challenges and opportunities in their field of work; and
- Share case studies and discussions on important issues in the field of diversity and inclusion.
All sessions will be online and are 60 minutes long.
- Workshop – Interactive learning with dedicated time for online participation.
- Presentation – One or more speakers present on a chosen topic. Allow for Q&A within the time frame.
- Panel – A moderated discussion with two or more speakers sharing the time equally, reflecting on topics that complement each other. Allow for Q&A within the time frame.
- Have an idea for a different format? Let us know!
Important A/V and Technology Information and Guidelines:
Presenters are responsible for securing their own computers and ensuring that they have a working webcam, microphone and speakers, and are able to connect to Webex and Zoom.
Wednesday, July 29, 2020– Deadline for proposal submission.
Wednesday, August 19, 2020 – Notification of accepted proposals will be issued.
Monday, October 12, 2020 – Deadline for presenters to submit their presentation slides.
We invite you to connect with us by phone 604-276-4391, or email Dorothy Jo, Inclusion Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss ideas for proposals.
See attachment for Presentation Proposal Form
If you have any questions or would like to discuss ideas for proposals, please contact Dorothy Jo, Inclusion Coordinator, at email@example.com.