Position Type: UBC Vancouver Graduate Academic Assistant
Organization Type: UBC Faculty, Department, Unit or Student Group
UBC Faculty/VP: VP Academic & Provost
UBC Department Name: UBC Sustainability Initiative
Job Title: Research support for the UBC Sustainability Initiative (USI) on Sustainability, Climate and the UN SDGs
Work Learn Project Number:
Do you already have a candidate(s) identified for this job? No
UBC is consistently recognized as a global leader in sustainability through teaching, learning and research, campus as a living lab projects, as well as progressive policies and plans to guide sustainable operations, infrastructure and community development. Sustainability defined broadly encompasses many areas at UBC: the impact of human activity on the physical and natural environment; supporting health and wellbeing; direct and indirect influence of human activity on biodiversity; the development of mitigation and adaptation strategies against adverse effects of climate change through technology, public policy or conservation measures.
The UBC Sustainability Initiative (USI) requires research support for work on the many facets of sustainability, climate action and the UN SDGs to inform projects, programs and funding opportunities.
Description of Duties:
· Conduct a scan to identify peer institutions in jurisdictions around the world who are leading in sustainability and using the UN SDGs as a framework.
· Assist with mapping UBC activities to SDG framework.
· Work with leadership of the International Sustainable Campus Network (ISCN) that UBC co-leads with EPFL, Switzerland to better understand the global context of sustainability in higher education and map leading institutions by thematic area.
· Conduct desktop research and interviews with universities in key jurisdictions to understand their programs and identify factors for success related to sustainability.
· Research relevant external funding sources – grants, foundations and government agencies.
· Help develop grant proposals to secure external funding to advance the work of USI and ISCN.
· Identify key global forums that UBC should consider participating in to continue to showcase the institution’s global leadership in sustainability.
· Prepare reports to highlight research findings, recommendations and next steps.
The student is supervised by a USI Director and is expected to work independently on a wide range of assignments.
Complexity of tasks:
Duties and tasks are of a moderate complexity and require a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
Number of Openings: 1
Excellent research and writing skills.
Demonstrated sustainability knowledge.
Strong analytical skills.
Project management and organizational skills.
Basic Excel skills; Intermediate is an asset
Familiarity with research methodologies and survey techniques.
Experience conducting stakeholder engagement events, including facilitation skills, is an asset.
Graduate Academic Assistant
Salary / Wage:
$18.07 per hour (Step 3)
Hours per Week:
Total Number of Hours per Student Position:
Current Students in a Masters Program / PhD program
Environment, Planning, Public Policy, Law
Is this position research oriented?
Anticipated Start Date:
March 1, 2020
Additional Documents Requested:
Resume, cover letter, class schedule (if relevant), unofficial transcript, example of a report you have written