BC Public Service
Ministry of Agriculture
Bring your expertise in land use planning and project management to this key role
Salary $69,900.80 - $79,791.25 annually
An independent administrative tribunal, the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) is the provincial body responsible for administering the provincial Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), governed by the Agricultural Land Commission Act (ALCA), the Agricultural Land Reserve General Regulation, and the Agricultural Land Reserve Use Regulation. The work of the ALC to preserve agricultural land and encourage farming is focused on strategic land use policy, engagement in land use planning and compliance and enforcement, in addition to land use application review and adjudication.
The Regional Planner provides expert advice, evaluation, and recommendations to the ALC and local governments about land use plans and bylaws, planning and related local, regional, provincial and federal land use projects that affect the ALR. This position ensures adherence to legislative requirements, policies and standards, leads ALR boundary reviews and is responsible for recommending changes to existing agricultural land reserve boundaries. The Regional Planner is required to travel to BC communities and interact with local government and participate on committees as necessary. In addition, the position provides leadership, management and implementation of land use planning activities as directed by the Commission or as part of the day to day activities associated with land use planning in the ALR. The Regional Planner works independently, drawing upon their comprehensive knowledge and experience.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in community planning or another relevant field such as agriculture or environmental planning and 3 or more years of directly related experience
- Experience in the land use planning field
- Experience leading and managing projects related to land use planning
- Supervisory experience and/or experience leading project teams of 3 people or more
- Preference may be given to applicants who have membership, or are eligible for membership in the Planning Institute of BC and/or the Canadian Institute of Planners
To learn more about this opportunity and apply online by June 25, 2019, please visit: