Job Title: Planning Assistant III (Rezoning)
Temporary (5 month) Full-time Position
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planning Assistant will provide technical and professional support to the Rezoning Centre, with a focus on the processing and review of rezoning applications and related functions, as well as contributing to a variety of rezoning and policy initiatives. The emphasis will be on collecting and analyzing information, developing information graphics to communicate complex ideas, and assisting with public consultation and public hearings.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Responding to development and rezoning enquiries from the public.
· Organizing public consultation processes and facilitating small group discussions.
· Preparing mailing lists, notifications and other related documents.
· Receiving and summarizing public comments.
· Maintaining web pages and social media accounts.
· Preparing presentations, public consultation information, and other graphic materials.
· Providing support for public hearings.
· Collecting data and performing research and analysis.
· Completing basic built form analysis such as shadow and massing studies.
· Performing other related duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
University degree in Planning and some planning experience or related university degree with experience related closely to the duties involved or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
· The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgment.
· A proven ability to self-manage workload and meet time demands (e.g., prioritize tasks, communicate expected time frames for the delivery of items with staff and request help when needed) is a requirement.
· Strong interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal).
· Demonstrated research and analytical abilities, with an aptitude in the legal and technical aspects of planning work.
· Strong graphic skills are a requirement, with a working knowledge of Sketch Up (3D Software), MapInfo, Microsoft Office Suite and graphics programs (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite).
· Working knowledge of zoning and land-use planning and regulations, land development economics, and urban design principles is required.
· Familiarity with rezoning processes is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2019
Position End Date: September, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-21: $31.62 to $37.23 per hour
Application Close: April 5, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply by sending your coverletter and resume to Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the job title in the subject line.