(Part-Time Contract – 2 months; September and November, 2018)
This part-time contract position will support the Social Planning and Research Council of BC (http://www.sparc.bc.ca/) in the evaluation of the Farm to Cafeteria Canada’s national initiative, Farm to School: Canada Digs In! (http://www.farmtocafeteriacanada.ca/our-work/about-farm-to- school-canada-digs-in/). The Farm to Cafeteria Canada (F2CC) has provided grants to implement salad bars and other Farm to School (F2S) activities in schools in five provinces (BC, ON, QC, NB and NL) as part of this initiative. Commencing in September 2018, F2CC will begin an on-site data collection with students in five elementary schools across British Columbia and Ontario. We will conduct pre-salad bar food recall interviews in September and post-salad bar recall interviews with elementary school students in late November and early December.
Experience and Qualifications:
The successful applicant is expected to have:
- A university degree and currently enrolled in the following graduate degree program areas: Food and Nutrition, Dietetics, Public Health, Urban Planning or Education;
- Strong communication skills (written and oral);
- Detail-oriented and strong accuracy;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Experience working with school food, local food systems, or related field;
- Experience working with children preferred;
- Experience with food recall interviews preferred; and,
- Proof of no criminal record.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Reporting to the Lead Evaluator;
- Attending training session scheduled for September 5th, 2018;
- Collecting food recall data from grades 4 to 6 students;
- Maintaining consistency in the data collection; and,
- Working closely with the evaluation team leads.
The successful candidates must be available for the following dates:
- 3-hour training session to be held from 2 to 5pm on September 5th, 2018 in Vancouver;
- At least one day on the week of September 10th;
- At least three to five days during the week of September 17th-21st and 24th-28th (may include travel to Vancouver, Vancouver Island and/or Ontario); and,
- At least three to five days during the week of November 19th-23rd and 26th-30th , possibly also the first week of December (may include travel to Vancouver, Vancouver Island and/or Ontario).
The successful candidate may not participate in all data collection moments, as we will require fewer research assistants for smaller schools. Remuneration will be paid at the rate of $25/hour. The travel costs and other related expenses will also be covered. The amount of travel and number of estimated hours of commitment is to be determined.
To apply for this position, please submit a covering letter and resume to Iris Lee, Senior Researcher at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. on August 10, 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in this position.