Bio and CV
- Dilkina, B., Gholami, S., Wang, K., Matai, L., Ou H-C., Tambe, M., Mayaud, J.R., Farhang, S. et al. (2019). AI in a worldwide coalition to combat poaching: Applying PAWS-ML on a global scale. Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence.
- Lopez-Behar, D., Tran, M., Mayaud, J.R., Froese, T., Herrera and O., Merida, W. (2018). Putting electric vehicles on the map: A policy agenda for residential charging infrastructure in Canada. Energy Research and Social Science.
- Lopez-Behar, D., Tran, M., Froese, T., Mayaud, J. R., Herrera, O. & Merida, W. (2018). Charging infrastructure for electric vehicles in Multi-Unit Residential Buildings: Mapping feedbacks and policy recommendations. Energy Policy.
- Viles, H. A., Messenzehl, K., Mayaud, J. R., Coombes, M. A. & Bourke, M. C. (2018). Stress histories control rock breakdown trajectories in arid environments. Geology.
- Mayaud, J. R., Tran, M., Pereira, R. H. M. & Nuttall, R. (2018). Future access to essential services in a growing smart city: The case of Surrey, British Columbia. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems.
- Mayaud, J.R. and Wentworth, J. (2017) Reform of Freshwater Abstraction. POSTnote, Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology, UK.
- Mayaud, J.R. and Webb, N.P. (2017) Vegetation in Drylands: Effects on Wind Flow and Aeolian Sediment Transport. Land, 6(3).
- Mayaud, J.R., Bailey, R.M. and Wiggs, G.F.S. (2017) A coupled vegetation/sediment-transport model for dryland environments. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 122(4): 875-900.
- Mayaud, J.R., Bailey, R.M. and Wiggs, G.F.S. (2017) Modelled responses of the Kalahari Desert to 21st century climate and land use change. Scientific Reports, 7(3887): 1-12.
- Mayaud, J.R., Bailey, R.M., Wiggs, G.F.S. and Weaver, C.M. (2017) Modelling aeolian sand transport using a dynamic mass balancing approach. Geomorphology, 280: 108-121.
- Mayaud, J.R., Wiggs, G.F.S. and Bailey, R. (2017) A field-based parameterisation of wind flow recovery in the lee of dryland plants. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 42(2): 378-386.
- Mayaud, J., Wiggs, G. and Bailey, R. (2016) Characterising turbulent wind flow around dryland vegetation. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 41(10): 1421-1436.
- Mayaud, J.R., Wiggs, G.F.S. and Bailey, R. (2016) Dynamics of skimming flow in the wake of a vegetation patch. Aeolian Research, 22: 141-151.
- Wilhelm, K., Viles, H., Burke, O. and Mayaud, J. (2016) Surface hardness as a proxy for weathering behaviour of limestone heritage: a case study on dated headstones on the Isle of Portland, UK. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75(931): 1-16.
- Mayaud, J.R., Banwell, A.F., Arnold, N.S. and Willis, I.C. (2014) Modeling the response of subglacial drainage at Paakitsoq, West Greenland, to 21st century climate change. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 110(12): 2619-2634.
- Mayaud, J.R., Viles, H.A. and Coombes, M.A. (2014) Exploring the influence of biofilm on short-term expansion and contraction of supratidal rock: an example from the Mediterranean. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39(10): 1404-1412.
Jerome is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Urban Predictive Analytics Lab, based at UBC.
In his research, Jerome asks questions such as, 'how is a city hardwired to be unequal? Who loses out in healthcare or education access? How does information spread through homeless networks?' His tools include statistics, numerical modelling, geospatial analysis and machine learning.
Prior to working at UBC, Jerome completed his PhD at the University of Oxford, researching the evolution and stability of dryland landscapes. He used a combination of modelling and fieldwork in southern Africa to better understand how plants, sand and wind interact in deserts, and developed the Vegetation and Sediment Transport (ViSTA) model. He holds an MPhil in Polar Studies from the University of Cambridge, where he modelled the glacial dynamics of western Greenland, and a BA in Geography from the University of Oxford.
Jerome is particularly interested in the ways research can be communicated to the public and used in the realms of policy and decision-making. He has worked for an international sustainability consultancy, for broadcasting networks in the UK, and for the UK's Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology.