Knowledge in Action - Planning in Partnership
SCARP’s mission statement commits us, through education and research, to generating and transforming knowledge into action by planning in partnership to improve lives and communities and the quality of built and natural environments.
Our vision ties in with other strategic plans developed at UBC:
- UBC’s vision: “inspiring people, ideas and action for a better world”
- UBC Indigenous Strategic Plan: “UBC as a leading university globally in implementation of Indigenous peoples’ human rights”
- UBC APSC Strategic Plan priority areas: “University for the Future”, “Future of Work”, “Inclusive Leadership & Respectful Engagements”, “Solutions for People”, “Thriving Cities & Communities”, and “Planetary Health”
- Integrity, care and respect – in how we behave
- Curiosity, excellence and courage – in what we do
- Inclusion, reciprocity and responsibility – in how we do it
- To further develop our international reputation in engaged scholarship, by nurturing innovation and challenging research conventions, thereby generating knowledge that is insightful, meaningful and transformative.
- To explore innovations in partnership working between disciplines and professions, and with communities and policy-makers, through our teaching and research.
| || |
- To inspire future generations of planning scholars, students and practitioners, at all career stages, through the quality of our teaching and commitment to learning based on intellectual rigour and action-oriented education and scholarship.
- To provide future planning professionals with the knowledge, skills, capacities
- and applied experiences to be the facilitators and leaders of positive change.To continue to advance research and teaching in Indigenous community planning and reconciliation.
- To project and promote the work of the School, including through new models
- of engagement and dialogue.
| || |
- To cultivate an openness to different perspectives, dialogue about those differences and a willingness to learn.
- To offer a lively, inclusive, creative and supportive working environment for faculty, early career scholars, staff and students, based on respect and a sense of shared endeavour.
- To attract and support highly talented students, staff and faculty, reflective of diversity within Canada.
- To be an organisationally effective and financially robust planning school.
For a more complete breakdown of who we feel we are and our strategic plan to further realize this: