Planning Technician 1
Regular Full Time
The City of Coquitlam is the fifth largest city in BC, home to more than 145,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through the development of our green spaces, arts and culture, urban design and state-of-the-art transportation system. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is currently recruiting for a full-time Planning Technician 1 to join our team of professionals in the Development Planning Division of the Planning and Development Department. This is a CUPE 386 position.
Reporting to the Major Project Planner in the Major Projects Group, your responsibilities will focus on writing land use policy and assisting with larger land use projects, as well as processing less to moderately complex development applications, including preparing reports and presenting to Council-in-Committee or Regular Council. This work will include moderately complex technical and administrative work related to examining and checking plans and development applications for compliance with the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan and other relevant bylaws and policies. You will discuss your work with senior staff, clarify problem areas and make recommendations for revisions. You will provide a variety of detailed technical information, interpretation and assistance on development applications, bylaw requirements and related policies, to homeowners, developers, the general public, internal departments and external agencies. You will conduct research, prepare background material and prepare reports on various departmental issues; compile information for inclusion in division reports; participate in public consultation events; and provide guidance to junior staff as required.
The ideal candidate should possess a diploma or university degree in planning or a related discipline, supplemented by technical courses related to the work, plus sound related experience, preferably in a municipal government setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience. The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Knowledge of a Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan, Design Guidelines and the Local Government Act.
- Sound knowledge of Planning principles.
- Knowledge of research, statistical and analytical principles/practices.
- Sound knowledge of department, political functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Proven experience in customer service.
- Ability to interpret moderately complex technical information, policies and procedures and explain them to the public.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to conduct accurate and independent research in support of planning issues and be able to analyze, interpret and make recommendations based on information obtained.
- Ability to use software applications such as Adobe InDesign, ArcGIS, Sketch-Up would be considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in written form, to prepare and present reports and maintain records.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
The City offers a very competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Please apply on-line at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs by 5:00 pm on July 2, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer