Posting's original text as follows:
Do you have a passion for Indigenous self-determination? Do you want to build strong leadership and technical capabilities in the area of Indigenous community planning? Do you enjoy building relationships with Indigenous communities and working collaboratively in a team environment? Are you a problem solver and innovator? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation in a flexible work environment, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Planning & Design group is looking for a Junior Planner to join our Indigenous Planning team within a multidisciplinary team of professionals in our Toronto, Oakville, Guelph, Kitchener and Hamilton offices. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects, and work with Indigenous communities while providing clients with a fully integrated customer experience.
We oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
What your day will look like
- Support the development of Indigenous Comprehensive Community Plans, land use and servicing, and strategic plans across Ontario and Canada
- Work with and provide support to intermediate and senior staff for community planning and engagement services to Indigenous communities
- Prepare engagement materials and engagement summary reports from community engagement meetings in Indigenous communities
- Support the collection of Indigenous Knowledge, as well as socio-cultural and traditional land and resource use data collection
- Contribute to environmental assessment projects, other planning or policy projects including baseline and background research, report writing, socio-economic data collection and analysis, Indigenous Knowledge studies, and fieldwork (as required)
- Support the implementation of programs for Indigenous and regulatory consultation and work with our teams to prepare associated materials (letters, notices, etc.), activities (engagement events, meetings, etc.) and documentation (records of consultation, databases, etc.)
- Collaborate with and support technical and professional staff from across the company to complete project assignments
- Communicate with clients, community leaders, and members, staff and others regularly in a clear and professional manner, both orally and in writing
- Ensure professionalism and personal accountability for time management, quality control, troubleshooting of project work, and meeting timelines and budgets
- Travel for project work across Canada as required
Learning & Development (3%)
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A bachelor’s or graduate degree in planning from a planning program accredited by the Professional Standards Board, other relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Eligibility to attain full membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) within three (3) years of accepting the position is an asset
- One (1) to three (3) years of professional planning experience in Ontario, preferably in the consulting environment. We would consider a combination of applied academic experience, co-op experience, community experience, and professional experience in tabulating the years of experience
- Valid Class G Driver’s License
Please note the person needs to be located in Toronto, Oakville, Guelph, Kitchener or Hamilton.
- Demonstrated understanding of approaches that can enhance Indigenous self-determination through community land use planning
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in the provincial and federal Environmental Assessment process and requirements
- Experience and/or interest in decolonizing the planning process, Indigenous socio-economic issues, cultural foundations, and politics is an asset
- Experience with Indigenous community engagement is an asset
- Strong communication, qualitative and quantitative research, report writing, organization and interpersonal skills
- Able to work in a self-directed, multidisciplinary team setting
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!