November 29, 2022
Urban Design Challenge 2023
A student ideas competition for the National Capital Region
The competition will be open to university and college students in urban planning/urbanism, landscape architecture, architecture, urban design and other related design-focused programs. A site in the National Capital Region of interest to the NCC will be proposed for study.
Registration and all relevant planning and policy documents, maps, etc. will be made available through the competition web page. The competition will occur during the winter semester – with registration open until January 26, 2023 and final submissions due on March 28, 2023.
The winning team (maximum 3 people per team) will be invited to present their projects at a public Urbanism Lab event in Ottawa in May 2023, expenses paid.
First Place Prize Package:
- Round-trip train or airplane tickets to Canada’s Capital (Ottawa) for each team member.*
- Two nights’ stay at a major hotel in the heart of Canada’s Capital (maximum of two hotel rooms per team).
- $750 cash prize for the winning team.
- $250 per team member to cover meals and expenses of a personal nature.
- The winning team must attend the awards ceremony on May 24, 2023, at the Urbanism Lab at 40 Elgin Street, Ottawa.
- Students located within the Québec–Windsor corridor will be provided round-trip train tickets in economy class originating from the VIA Rail station closest to their location (place of residence, study or work).
- Students located outside the Québec–Windsor corridor will be provided round-trip airplane tickets in economy class originating from the major Canadian airport closest to their location (place of residence, study or work).
Second Place Prize:
- A $500 cash prize will be offered to the second-place team.