BECOME A MENTEE
A Program for first-year and second-year students
Participate in the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) Mentoring Program and explore the unique opportunity to network with industry professionals and gain valuable skills - such as interviewing and professional communication skills - while expanding your knowledge about planning professions.
The program focuses on the unique needs of the planning student population through a tri-mentoring model that matches a first-year and second-year Master of Community and Regional Planning (MCRP) student with a planning professional with a similar discipline or interests. This structure allows first-year students to gain knowledge from both an upper-year student and a professional planner, while second-year students gain the opportunity to be both a mentor and a mentee.
- Start to build a professional network with industry professionals and student peers
- Expand your knowledge about planning professions
- Learn from established planners and gain exposure to new ideas and opportunities
- Build mentoring and leadership skills through the peer-to-peer mentoring component
- Get involved with SCARP and professional societies such as the Planning Institute of British Columbia
- Gain the opportunity to develop and reflect on your career goals
What’s expected of you?
Your involvement will span the length of the academic year, from September through to the end of April, with a total time commitment of approximately 20 hours.
|September 23, 2019||Application deadline|
|October 7, 2019||SCARP Mentoring Kick-Off Event|
|November 13, 2019||Student Mentee Professional Development Workshop 1|
|February 13, 2020||Student Mentee Professional Development Workshop 2|
|March 31, 2020||SCARP Mentoring Closing Event|