MENTOR A SCARP STUDENT
Make an impact by sharing your insight with students
Volunteer as a mentor with the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) Mentoring Program and share your knowledge and experience with students who are defining their career path, expanding their professional network and developing important professional skills.
As a mentor you will be matched with a first-year and second-year Master of Community and Regional Planning (MCRP) student in a discipline or interest similar to your own. You will attend networking events where you will have the opportunity to connect with students and industry professionals. You will meet with your students several times over the course of the academic year.
Why Become a Mentor?
Many of our mentors tell us that they get as much out of the mentoring program as their mentees!
As a mentor, you will:
- · Connect with the vibrant and dynamic planning community at UBC and be inspired by the enthusiasm of prospective planners
- · Share your career experiences and lessons with two students
- · Increase your understanding of the mentoring process and what it takes to be an effective mentor
- · Expand your network by meeting other industry professionals involved in the mentoring program
- · Give back to the profession by offering insight to a young professional in your field
Mentoring is encouraged and recognized by the Planning Institute of British Columbia.
What is expected of you as a Mentor?
Your involvement will span the length of the academic year, from September through to the end of April, with a total time commitment of approximately 20 hours.
|September 23, 2019||Application deadline|
|October 7, 2019||SCARP Mentoring Kick-Off Event|
|November 13, 2019||Student Mentee Professional Development Workshop 1|
|February 13, 2020||Student Mentee Professional Development Workshop 2|
|March 31, 2020||SCARP Mentoring Closing Event|
If you are interested in being a mentor, we would love to hear from you.
Apply HERE. Deadline to apply is September 23, 2019.
If you have any questions about mentoring or the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) Mentoring Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.